Wednesday, March 4, 2009

what playing with Poker Pros can teach you.....

.....is invaluable.

Reading poker books is also extremely helpful, but you REALLY have to discipline yourself to try then do exactly what they preach. It can be expensive, but in the long run, the lessons are bang on, IF you think and do as instructed. It's like lights go on in your head when you have an epiphany and that "AHA" moment strikes you. Tuck it away, then use it as you should. It works MOST of the time. When it doesn't it's just bad luck, or a really weak player, who of course is who we seek to destroy.

Since returning from LA i have played only a few online low limit tournaments. I have reached Final table in all 4 games, 3rd, 5th, 10th and 10th. $3 buy in SNG, 50 players. Then I upped the ante to $20 and played an 80 player game, and won it. Nice payday to help offset LA expenses.

Today, I also played a Canadian HU qualifier event, and came 2nd. There weren't enough players to achieve full qualification numbers but again, the game is getting better and better I feel.

then I returned to earn some Red hot Poker Tour points on the low level $3 SNG's and struck out twice, once with JJ against KK and another with KK against AK. Oh well.

Last game of the day, had me up it one more time. $109 buy into another 80 player game and came 6th on one of the most horrible bad beats ever. Well to me any how for that level of game in that situation. Another nice payday none the less.

Ok here's how it went down: am in the Small Blind while at 1000-2000 (100ante), middle position raises to 8000. I re-raise to 16,000, with 17K back, he has about the same. folds back to him, and he calls. Flop is 8h3s2s, and I shove allin. STOP N GO at worst, IF he had any clue at all. He insta -calls. He shows AcJd (no flush draw, I couldn't believe it) and turns a J then rivers his Ace. OMG. Other players laughed at his insanity at the FT of THAT quality/level of players. Then buddy says, I played it wrong. Not sure how really. He's just weak cuz he couldn't let go of his hand. It truly was a bad call, that just got really really lucky. Oh well. game over and onto the next one (tomorrow).

Send me questions and or comments if you think how I could have played that hand better. Raise more than the 16,000? Bet but not shove on the flop? I don't think he was getting away from his hand regardless.

No comments: